So, you heard about the benefits of the Curly Girl Method and want to know how to start this transformative journey.
One quick note I do want to make before we begin is the fact that I will never personally endorse a “strict” Curly Girl Method routine (no-poo method).
Every routine I describe will have some sort of shampoo to at least properly clarify hair once a month.
All hair regardless of texture must be clarified at least once a month to keep the scalp clean and prevent build-up from blocking potential hair growth.
Now that we understand each other, let’s get into the typical “first” washday experience.
To keep everything as simple as possible, and keep us all on the same track, I am going to go step-by-step and recommend some of my favorite products as examples!
If you would like to try the products, remember to save money using my discount code: REDCARPETCURLS
Step #1: Clarify Hair
To start a new journey, you want to cleanse yourself of your past baggage. In this case, it would be all the silicone and product build-up left behind by your pre-CGM products.
Most products on the market are catered toward straight hair, meaning they often include harsh ingredients like sulfates and silicones.
Naturally textured hair is always at a moisture disadvantage because of the structure of our texture. The texture slows down how fast our Sebum (natural oil our scalp produces) can make its way down from the roots all the way down to the ends.
Sebum is created specifically by our scalp to keep both the scalp and hair moisturized and protected from breakage.
This is normally what happens with straight hair, but naturally textured hair isn’t so lucky, therefore we need a specialized method to help supplement the moisture we naturally lack.
If you have naturally textured hair (waves, curls, coils, etc.) using sulfates and silicones will only further dry out your hair and make it more vulnerable to split ends and breakage.
Silicones form barriers around the hair strand locking in moisture, but once the moisture is gone, the barrier doesn’t allow new moisture in. You essentially seal in dry hair causing your own split ends and breakage, especially during the winter & summer months.
Silicones can only be clarified out of hair; this means a special shampoo (clarifying) formulated with the strongest class of surfactants, strong enough to remove the silicone and other forms of build-up. This surfactant class is known as Anionic Surfactants.
Not all shampoos are created equal. When the Original Curly Girl Method came out over 20 years ago, the method called for the complete exclusion of shampoo. The idea behind this was to protect our delicate and dry tresses from sulfates, instead choosing to co-wash because they contain gentler detergents.
You should NEVER fully cut shampoo out of your haircare regime.
The first step to healthy hair is a healthy scalp. Yes, we shouldn’t be using harsh sulfates, but we should not be exclusively using conditioners to cleanse because the moisture builds up leaving hair feeling greasy, weighed down, or not curling to its fullest potential.
Not all shampoos are created equal. There are different types of detergents used for different occasions. This is where knowing the science (Trichology) helps you determine the correct product to use.
Anionic surfactants are the strongest class of detergents, this group contains both sulfate and sulfate-free options. So, if there is a sulfate-free Anionic surfactant strong enough to remove all build-up including silicone without the damage a sulfate imparts, why would you ever use a sulfate again?
Therefore, when you start your hair care journey, you never ever need a Final Wash, you always start with a sulfate-free clarifying wash.
How do you spot a sulfate vs. a sulfate-free Anionic Surfactant?
The most common sulfate-free Anionic Surfactant you will find in clarifying shampoos is Sodium C14-C16 Olefin Sulfonate.
This is why the Inahsi Naturals Soothing Mint Sulfate Free Clarifying Shampoo (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS) is perfect to remove all build-up and prime your tresses to receive the full moisture from your next step. Not to mention the amazing tingly peppermint feeling once the shampoo is applied, really makes your hair and scalp feel CLEAN.
Please remember Clarifying Shampoo is considered the strongest wash and doesn’t need to be done too often.
All hair must be clarified at LEAST once a month. If you have fine/wavy hair or suffer from build-up more quickly like low porosity hair, try twice a month.
Otherwise, try to use gentler cleansing options between clarifying washes such as a low poo like the Inahsi Naturals Soothing Mint Gentle Cleansing Shampoo. (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS)
If you’re looking for a change from the peppermint scent, you can’t go wrong with Miche Beauty Detox Clarifying Shampoo. Besides being an incredibly efficient clarifying shampoo, this shampoo has the best scent I’ve ever come across in a product line. It’s a cross between a light floral and berry-like fragrance. It’s absolutely amazing, every single time I use this shampoo, I have voluminous, bouncy, and shiny hair, but the best perk is the constant stream of compliments I get about how good my hair smells.
If you’re looking for a big box/drugstore recommendation, try out Kinky Curly Come Clean.
Paired with a scalp brush, you will get a nice clean feeling with each wash.
If you are still a little confused about the differences between shampoos such as clarifying, low-poo, and no-poo, please check out my article on that by clicking here.
Otherwise, let’s move on to step #2 on your washday…
Step #2: Deep Condition Hair
Expert Tip: Whenever you use a heavy-duty cleanser like a clarifying shampoo, always remember you need a heavy-duty moisturizer to replace all that moisture that was just washed away with your shampoo. The heaviest duty conditioner you can use is the deep conditioner.
Deep conditioners provide the same benefits as instant/rinse-out conditioners; the most significant difference is the level at which they work.
Deep conditioners contain ingredients with lower molecular weight making it easier to penetrate the deepest layers of the hair to really moisturize and repair from within the strands.
The shiny frizz-free results from a deep conditioner last longer than that of instant conditioners. Often, you will see deep conditioners contain penetrating ingredients like amino acids, oils, fatty acids, etc., that is because they are small enough to penetrate past the hair cuticle all the way to the deepest layer of the hair known as the Cortex.
My best tip when it comes to deep conditioners is to rotate between moisture-based conditioners and protein-based conditioners. This will help you keep a balance between protein and moisture. If you are anything like me, you want to keep it as simple as possible and utilize a deep conditioner that contains both protein AND moisture. That way you can achieve that balance all in one step.
Want to learn more about deep conditioners and how to ensure a successful deep conditioning session every time? Then check out my YouTube Video below.
Looking for deep conditioning recommendations? Let’s go through a couple of my absolute favorites!
Alodia Haircare Nourish & Hydrate Deep Conditioning Masque – I have absolutely adored this masque from the day I discovered it. It will always be in my top three recommendations of any product or brand! It leaves your hair feeling buttery/silky smooth by the time you rinse it out. It packs in so much moisture it immediately melts away tangles. It does contain honey which will impart a fantastic shine. Plus it also contains amino acids which will strengthen the hair, encouraging it to grow longer and stronger. You can check out my YouTube Tutorial on the Alodia Haircare line by clicking here.
Inahsi Naturals Mango Hemp Restorative Hair Masque Deep Conditioner (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS) – Inahsi Naturals is my Day 1 go-to. When it comes to any step in my wash day, I know Inahsi is going to deliver each and every time. This hair masque promises (and delivers on the promise) to restore, protect, and strengthen your tresses to promote overall healthy hair. It is enriched with ceramides, such as Hemp oil, that will help hair retain moisture, restore hair’s balance and help to minimize the effects of daily wear and tear. The silk amino acids will strengthen your hair and restore protein loss due to damage. Perfect for transitioners from chemical to natural, color-treated hair, and over processed hair. masque is especially useful for transitioning hair since it contains both moisture and protein! You can check out my YouTube tutorial on this product by clicking here.
Bemycurl Seal The Deal Mask – (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS17) This masque is one that is especially close to my heart because of the fact that I helped formulate it! That’s right, ya girl can add formulation chemist to her list of accomplishments. The Seal The Deal masque is one of the most moisturizing deep conditioners I’ve ever raked through my hair. This mask promises (and delivers on the promise) to detangle, repair, and restore moisture leaving your curls bouncy and full of life. After some time, the owner of the brand (Joseph – Owner of Curlson5th – & and my personal hair stylist) decided he wanted to make the mask even better. I spent a few weeks researching ingredients I thought would go well together, and that’s when genius hit. The introduction of Broccoli Seed Oil made this mask next level. Now, its not only moisturizing enough for the driest hair types but it gives you an out-off-this-world shine! Broccoli seed oil is one of the best and lightweight sealing oils around, so this is one of the only products on the market you will find with this ingredient. You can check out my YouTube tutorial on this product by clicking here.
Bourn Beautiful Coconut Cream Deep Conditioning Mask- If you are U.K., Then check out this amazing brand! BBN is all about maintaining your hair’s optimal moisture balance in formulas that are both effective and feel luxurious. This is achieved through mainly vegan and vegetarian all natural ingredients. I absolutely adore the thick whipped consistency of this mask, so for fine-haired or wavy hair Queens & Kings, less is more. If you have thick, coarse, and parched hair, this mask will easily melt into hair infusing it with so much moisture, your hair is going to feel like silk after just one use. This mask is packed with the nourishing fatty acids from coconut milk, including vitamins B1, B3, B5 and B6, C, and E. Organic, fair trade shea butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, maracuja oil and hydrolysed pea protein help textured hair . You can check out my full thoughts and YouTube tutorial by clicking here.
Your deep conditioner is so important because not only is this the step responsible for imparting all the moisture back into your hair to regain your elasticity, bounce, and shine, but when you choose a deep conditioner with gentle protein like hydrolyzed protein or amino acids, you are helping keep the right balance of protein and moisture in your hair to avoid pitfalls like Hygral Fatigue or Protein Overload.
Essentially here’s the difference between Instant and Intense Conditioners:
Deep Conditioners= penetrate past the cuticle and are left on for more extended periods, results last longer. (1-2x a week max! But at least once a month)
Rinse Out Conditioners = daily use, penetrate to the cuticle (outermost layer of the hair strand) to improve manageability and appearance, results don’t last long.
I like to look at my deep conditioning sessions as my hair insurance! Protecting my hair 24/7! If you are a visual learner like me, here is a tutorial on how I deep condition my hair.
Applying heat to your deep conditioning treatments is especially helpful for low porosity hair or those with thicker or coarser hair will help your deep conditioner penetrate more quickly and effectively.
Applying heat like a microwavable cap from Thermal Haircare or Thermal Vibes, or even my #1 Holy Grail product, the Q-Redew Hair Steamer will step your washday up to a whole new level.
The heat helps the scales on the cuticle layer of the hair lift much more quickly to allow the deep conditioner to penetrate to deeper layers much more quickly than it would otherwise.
Step #3: Styling Hair
Styling Naturally Textured hair is all about choices and preferences. You literally have so many options available to you. In fact, it can get a bit overwhelming trying to choose the right product or combination of products.
So, I figured the best way to break this down is to show you the fundamentals of building a solid washday routine. After you master these basics, then you can explore other types of stylers such as mousses or creams. These foundational products are leave-in conditioner and gel.
A successful styling session needs two things; hydration and hold. That is where your two products come in, the leave-in conditioner is your hydration requirement and the gel is the hold requirement.
Let’s start with the first step of any styling session. Sectioning your hair.
Again, there are countless ways to section your hair, since I have fine hair (works with thicker hair as well), I prefer to have my hair sectioned out before any product touches it.
This allows me to focus less product (preventing build-up) on the areas that need it most. This will give more curl definition and shine!
I am a big fan of the BMC sectioning technique also known as the BeMycurl Sectioning Technique. Here’s a visual demonstration…
As you can see, sectioning my hair in this manner makes it easier to manage, allows me to use less product, and focus on the curl definition I am looking for. Once I let a section out of my clip, I re-wet it with water.
I like to apply my products to soaking wet hair when styling for definition.
If you are looking for more volume than definition, then style on damp hair.
The first product option you have and should always include is to moisturize your hair with a leave-in conditioner.
Yes, you did moisturize your hair in the deep conditioning step, but by the time you are out of the shower, you have rinsed out all or most of your deep conditioner (for those with very dry thick coarse, or high porosity hair you can leave a little of the deep conditioner in your hair for extra moisture), your strands now need some kind of moisture to seal the scales on your cuticle allowing you to retain that moisture.
Normally this is where your rinse-out conditioner would come in handy, especially if you have very dry hair. The deep conditioner focuses on moisturizing in deeper layers, while the rinse out focuses on sealing the cuticle. If you have fine-hair this might be too much moisture for you, so you can go ahead and skip the rinse-out conditioner, and save it for the next day to refresh or another wash day where you don’t have to deep condition.
No matter if you choose to use a rinse-out conditioner or not, a Leave-In Conditioner is non negotiable when it comes to styling naturally textured hair. The key is the amount you use.
A leave-in conditioner is formulated to be a lighter dose of moisture as opposed to that of a rinse-out conditioner. It may have penetrating ingredients just like a deep conditioner or rinse-out conditioner, just in smaller quantities, allowing you to style with multiple products without causing too much build-up (remember build-up will always occur when applying products especially depending on how much product you use).
The reason I consider a leave-in conditioner as the hydration step to your styling is because all conditioners, especially leave-in conditioners should list water as the first or second ingredient. Remember the first five ingredients of any product label makes up approximately 80% of the overall product. That means as the first ingredient, your hair will definitely be hydrated by water because it makes up more of the product.
All natural hair is like a plant, our tresses need water to thrive. When your hair is dehydrated it will result in frizz and therefore lack of curl definition. So, PLEASE DO NOT skip leave-in conditioners especially during winter and summer months.
A leave-in conditioner will make your hair softer, more manageable, and better able to fight against frizz. This will increase your curl definition. I recommend using the raking technique to apply products to your hair. No styling tool is going to be as gentle to your tresses as your own fingers will, and nothing will allow you to FEEL if the section is properly moisturized like your fingers. Once you have applied the leave-in with your fingers, then you can pass a brush or comb through to ensure proper product distribution and coverage on the strands. I am personally a big fan of the Scrunch It Brush (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS). You can check out my YouTube Tutorial on the brush by clicking here.
Looking for Leave-In Conditioner Recommendations?
Let’s take a look at some of my all-time favorites!
- Miche Beauty Lavish Leave-In Conditioner – Honestly this leave-in is phenomenal when it comes to hydrating, moisturizing, and sealing your hair. It’s a three-in-one leave-in conditioner that smells absolutely amazing. It’s a pretty thick and moisturizing formula, so, I say less is more. Whenever I apply this product, it leaves my hair feeling silky smooth, instantly melting tangles and smoothing my hair down into those beautiful clumps I desire. The first ingredient is Distilled Water Infused with Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract, so you know you are hydrating, moisturizing, and strengthening your hair when you use this leave-in conditioner.
- Miche Beauty Hydrating Curl Refresher & Leave-In Conditioner – Now, if we are going to mention Miche Beauty, then I have to mention my favorite product from their line which is this refresher & leave-in conditioner. Besides having one of the best scents I’ve ever tried, this lightweight leave-in gives me the best curl definition across any brand. Boost is a multipurpose nutrient-rich leave-in & curl refresher spray that works simultaneously to moisturize, detangle, hydrate, refresh and nourish hair leaving it feeling soft and manageable prior to styling. I can honestly say this spray brings my curls back to life! Boost works as the perfect leave-in conditioner for those who prefer lightweight leave-in conditioners but still want moisturized & hydrated hair without the hair being weighed down.
- Inahsi Naturals Pamper My Curls All-In-One Leave-In Mist– (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS)- This leave-in conditioner is actually one of my babies! I always make sure I am stocked because I use it so often. This lightweight leave-in is one of my favorites because of the moisture and slip provided in the product. This conditioner sprays evenly and quickly into hair locking in moisture and shine. This light-weight oil-free mist will moisturize, nourish, and refresh your curls without weighing them down. The ayurvedic herbal delight of marshmallow root will not only provide slip for pesky knots, but will make your curls soft, supple, and sleek. Lavender, angelica root and chamomile extract help to soothe dry itchy scalp. This power packed daily leave-in will mystify you with all the wonderful benefits: Repairs the hair from damage due to coloring, heat styling or weathering. Aids in color retention. Strengthens the hair structure to help fight breakage and split ends. This bad boy is a staple for a reason! You can check out my full thoughts on this three-piece collection by clicking here.
- Inahsi Naturals Rescue & Repair Bond Strengthening Leave-In Conditioner (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS) – If you are transitioning your hair from chemical treatment to all-natural, I would definitely recommend this leave-in and Olaplex #3. For a repair and strengthening product, this is one of the lightest leave-in conditioners I have ever used. It has a very runny consistency and lots of slip so it’s very easy to rake through the hair. This ultra-moisturizing leave-in conditioner moisturizes, strengthens, and repairs curls from the inside out. This moisturizing leave-in has patented technology to penetrate the cortex to create new bonds to strengthen and repair keratin in the hair. This leave-in will combat frizz, define your curls while making detangling a breeze. The baobab protein provides care from the damaging effects of heat, UV, and environmental exposure (making it perfect for summer use). While the rich oils of avocado and olive will restore shine and lock in moisture to make the hair soft, supple, and sleek. This bond strengthening treatment also helps reduce post Covid hair thinning and breakage, by creating stronger bonds which promotes length retention.
- Bourn Beautiful Naturals Leave Me Be Leave-In Conditioner- Speaking of melting tangles away, have you heard about the BBN Leave Me Be Leave-In Conditioner? Now this leave-in will turn your hair into silk! Free from tree nut oils, this formula locks moisture into freshly cleansed tresses. It smoothes your hair cuticle and acts as a protective foundation for styling products to follow. Its glycerin-free, protein-free, light-weight but moisturizing formula is made with aloe vera juice, maracuja oil and strengthening hibiscus extract. The lack of glycerin helps prevent frizz and makes it more compatible with a wider range of styling products and weather environments, especially cold or arid ones. Best of all it can be used to refresh and rehydrate curls between wash days without excessive build-up. With a soft hibiscus scent, it truly is the perfect product for curl definition, shine, and moisture. You can check out my YouTube Tutorial by clicking here.
- DN Organics Ultra- Defined Leave-In Cream- If you’re looking for a thick consistency leave-in then this is the one you are looking for! This formula (as well as their gel) are all vegan, cruelty free, gluten-free and use an all natural fragrance oil. Less is definitely more with this luxurious leave-in conditioner, it is so moisturizing you don’t want to use too much and weigh down the hair. Made with all natural ingredients like Mango Seed Butter and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, this leave-in will deliver not only moisture and shine, but hydrolyzed protein to strengthen hair and help retain length, protecting it from breakage. You can check out my YouTube Tutorial by clicking here.
- Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner- This was one of the very first store-bought leave-in conditioners I ever purchased, and to be honest, I still keep it stocked! The leave-in cream provides a lot of slip to spread evenly and quickly through the hair. This product is cruelty-free and contains organic fruit extracts and herbs to naturally moisturize hair. I love how quickly it melts away tangles, and it’s so moisturizing that it can be used (in larger quantities) for curlier and drier hair types. If you have fine hair, use pea-sized amounts for best results. This is one of those products easily accessible in Target or Sally’s Beauty. Perfect for just starting the method without killing your wallet.
Once you have applied your moisturizing product it is now time for the final styling step: Using Gel.
A gel is responsible for giving hair hold, it will stiffen the shape of the curl to preserve it.
Gels are often made of water, humectants, proteins, oil, etc. All these ingredients are what give you the shine and frizz control you are looking for.
Applying a gel over your leave-in conditioner is going to give you the hold you need to keep your curls throughout the day, otherwise you will notice your curls loosen and go flat. Gel prevents this as well as offers protection against frizz, improving curl definition.
Gel often gets a bad reputation because of the hard gel-cast we used to feel when we tried gel in our younger years. What we didn’t know then was the secret to properly using gel was to scrunch this gel cast out with our hands after it dried. Once you release the curls from their “cast” you will see the soft, silky, shiny, defined results you were looking to achieve.
Finding the right gel to use is often a problem as well, so, I figured I would help you guys out by recommending some of my all-time favorite gels below!
- Pamper My Curls Curl Sculpting Glaze (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS)- My O.G favorite! This protein-free frizz-fighting natural styling glaze will leave your curls defined, protected, and oh so shiny. The sunflower oil which is rich in ceramides will help to repair the hair from wear and tear. This curl sculpting glaze provides a strong hold without leaving your curls flakey or a white residue. It is also great to smooth down edges and help to Instantly define and hold curls in place. Not all gels are strong hold, so this gel is a hidden gem in the Curly Girl Method market! I love how much slip it provides, truly glides along hair so gently and gives you the hold you are looking for when it comes to days 2 & 3 of your wash n’ go.
- Define & Shine Liquid Styling Gel – (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS) It is lighter in weight as well as hold. The Pamper My Curls Gel will give you more hold, but this lightweight gel stands on its own! This lightweight fragrance-free liquid styling gel is just what your curls crave. This liquid styling gel will define your curls while adding shine and bounce to each strand. This frizz-fighting gel is specially formulated with quinoa protein which will help to improve color retention, conditioning, and protection, while the rice protein will repair your curls while leaving them soft, voluminous, and bouncy. This liquid styler provides a soft to medium hold without leaving your curls dry or crunchy. I find this gel to be a fantastic addition to my summer months routine. It truly does keep frizz at bay and keep that shine and bounce locked in.
- Bemycurl Let’s Get Kinky Hydrating Gel– (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS17)This was one of the first gels I ever tried that made me love gel and realize the importance of it! Hydrolyzed Rice Protein and Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein are listed as ingredients 4 & 5 on the label, meaning this gel is protein-based which gives the curls a little extra bounce and hold. Hydrolyzed proteins are small enough to penetrate to the deepest layers of the hair strand and repair the hair from inside out. This gel offers soo much slip, that’s why it’s one of my all-time favorites. Less is more when it comes to this gel because it is a strong-hold gel as well. With water as the first ingredient you also hydrate and moisturize all with just one gel. You can check out my YouTube Tutorial by clicking here.
- DN Organics Ultra Defined Styling Gel- If you’re looking for a gel that gives you volume and definition then this is the one you have been waiting for. DN Organics creates all-natural, vegan, and cruelty free products that work! In small amounts, this gel is very lightweight and provides beautiful shine, definition, and bounce. For fine hair this is definitely a gel to keep in rotation. With water and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein in the first few ingredients you are going to get hydration and repair with this one gel. Lots of slip and pairs very well with other stylers. Obviously works best with its matching leave-in conditioner, but on its own this gel works fantastically to help prevent frizz and keep humidity out. You can check out my YouTube Tutorial by clicking here.
- Green Alchemy Chemist Scalp Rescue Smoothing Balm – This gel is one that has come into my life recently and quickly realized it’s a staple for summer months because of its humidity resistance. Scalp Rescue Smoothing Balm is a gel base infused with creamy argan, macadamia and coconut oils to condition and prevent frizz while Vegatin™ – their vegan keratin replacement – builds strength and elasticity from the inside out to reduce hair breakage. The gel provides flexible styling, light hold, shine and protects against the effects of humidity. I love using it as a base gel or leave-in since it is hydrating and use a strong hold gel on top to get perfect frizz-free results each time.
- Miribel Organics Flaxseed Gel– I am a huge fan of flaxseed gels since flaxseeds are full of Omega fatty acids to help repair the hair and keep it healthy. Flaxseed gels like this one normally give you a medium hold, which means you will have to refresh the next day. This gel also contains aloe vera which contains vitamins A, C, and E which helps repair and strengthen hair. Let’s not forget the Vitamin E which fights off damage while providing moisture. Adds shine and promotes elasticity. I love the definition and bounce I get from this gel!
Once you master the classic Leave-In Conditioner and Gel combination, you can begin to play around with other options. There is an entire world of stylers out there such as mousses, creams, butters, etc. But I promise you, learning the foundations will lessen the trial-and-error approach and allow you to master the secrets to your particular mane more effectively.
On your first washday, after your clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner, I recommend starting with a leave-in and gel to get used to those foundational styling steps and learn how to expand from there.
Step #4: Sealing Hair
So, you have finally finished styling your hair and it is officially dry whether you chose to air dry or diffuse.
Now, it’s time to seal that moisture into those strands. If you styled with any product (outside of butter) you will want something to seal in the moisture, so the hair doesn’t appear dull and dry in a few hours (this is typically what happens with damaged/transitioning hair, or those with high porosity hair)
Oil is ideal to seal, when it comes to oils there are two types of oil, Moisturizing (also known as Penetrating because the oil will never hydrate your hair) and Sealing Oil.
Pretty self-explanatory, but penetrating oils contain more fatty acids that have the capability to penetrate deep into the hair strand, whereas sealing oils do not and as a result sit on top of the hair strand creating an invisible flexible barrier to seal in moisture from your products.
Some examples of sealing oils include broccoli seed oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, etc.
I love sealing/SOTC/ doing a scalp massage with oil blends. Looking for some recommendations? Here are some of my all-time favorite blends.
- Inahsi Naturals Pamper My Curls Hair & Scalp Elixir (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS)- It contains a mixture of penetrating and sealing (olive, grapeseed, avocado, sunflower) oils.Sunflower oil alone contains ceramides a fatty lipid that’s essentially the glue holding the hair cuticle together.In addition to using, it as a sealing oil, you can use sunflower oil in hot oil treatments and as an enhancer for your deep conditioner. I like to take one drop per fingertip, massage together, then massage my scalp for two minutes. Next, I take three more drops in the palm of my hands, massage them together, and scrunch out the hard gel cast feeling, revealing beautifully moisturized, bouncy, shiny curls!
- Tailored Beauty Lustrous Hair Remedy Serum – This has to be one of the lightest weight serums I’ve ever used on my fine-density hair. This oil blend contains a premium herbal blend of Hemp Seed oil and Neem for strong, shiny, beautiful, hair. It has a wonderfully light fragrance and immediately seeps into the scalp and strands. Gives a beautiful shine and is perfect for keeping ends moisturized to aid in length retention.
- Thatsthatmagic– (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS)My O.G. all-time favorite oil blend. No blend has come close to the amazing fragrance of this blend. Thatthamagic is a handmade moisturizing body and hair oil made from natural oils and fragrances including coconut oil, shea nut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, and avocado oil. Perfect for all skin and hair types. It’s amazing for pre-poo, SOTC, oil rinse, deep conditioning, scalp massages, etc. Nothing beats the shine I get from this oil! You can check out my full playlist of YouTube tutorials on this oil by clicking here.
- Alodia Haircare Soothe Hair & Scalp Herbal Infusion – One of the best investments in multi-use oil in my humble opinion! This oil blend is perfect for those with dry, irritated, or flaky scalp. This unique treatment infuses Egyptian chamomile flowers, calendula flowers, and lavender to soothe hair follicles to provide the foundation for optimal scalp health. A cooling blend of peppermint and spearmint oils reduces scalp itchiness and tea tree oil has antiseptic and healing properties that reduce scalp irritation and inflammation. Jojoba and sunflower oils mimic the natural oils of the scalp, hydrating the follicles and hair strands to prevent dryness and flakiness. I love the tingle this oil gives my scalp, it’s perfect to Scrunch Out The Gel Cast, Pre-Poo, Deep Condition, and Scalp Massages.
Step #5: Sleeping & Refreshing Hair
Once you have completed the first four steps of your wash day:
- Clarify Hair
- Deep Condition Hair
- Style Hair
- Seal Hair
You’ll realize you have come to the final step of your washday, sleeping/refreshing your hair.
If you are one of those people who can just stuff your hair in a bonnet and wake up with perfect curls God Bless Ya! I am not one of the chosen.
When it comes to sleeping with naturally textured hair you always want to make sure you are sleeping with satin accessories.
Cotton fibers suck the moisture out of hair causing tangles and breakage. Cotton pulls and tugs on the hair strands causing damage while you get, you’re not so beauty rest. Just take a look at the Inahsi Natural Satin Bonnet (Discount Code: REDCARPETCURLS)
The reversible Satin Bonnet is an all-in-one solution for protecting your hair and style while sleeping, showering, lounging, and more! The drawstring closure gives you the ability to secure the bonnet without messing up your hairstyle. Whether your hair is natural, or in extensions, long, short, curly, or straight – this Satin Bonnet is perfect for all hair types.
With Satin, hair doesn’t experience the same friction caused by moisture-absorbing cotton, instead, the hair glides off the satin fabric aiding in moisture retention.
If the moisture in your hair isn’t be sucked out at night, you wake up with healthier, moisturized hair. This will keep hair resistant to split ends and breakage.
Utilizing satin accessories through the winter months aids in not only moisture retention but length retention as well!
For my satin accessories, besides Inahsi Naturals, I am a loyal fan of NPTressTreats! Not only does the founder understand the importance of Satin for natural hair, but her goal is to make these accessories as cute as possible and let me tell you she was successful in this mission! Over the years I have purchased so many pillowcases, scrunchies, bonnets, and scarves all from this one place. The scrunchies come in two sizes. The products are all quality and I’ll be honest, I love the products so much I wouldn’t trust any other company with my satin accessory needs.
For extra protection, in case my bonnet falls off, I like to have a satin pillowcase and scrunchie as well. Ensuring my hair doesn’t touch cotton all night.
To refresh hair, you once again have a few options:
- Steam paired with a conditioning product like a cream, mist, or foam
- Mix water and a little conditioner in a spray bottle and lightly mist hair
- Completely re-wet hair with water and apply a single styler like a gel or custard
Whatever you choose, keep it light since the water will re-activate whatever styling products you applied to your hair the day prior. You don’t want to overdo it, you simply want to tweak what’s there.
Once you’ve refreshed and dried your hair, you are ready to go about your day! Refreshing should never take any longer than 10-15 minutes, you are not re-styling, just refreshing, it’s not supposed to look completely perfect, it’s supposed to look perfectly you! That means frizz is not only acceptable, it’s a part of life, how do you think you achieve volume?
Now remember depending on your transitioning time, you may not get the definition you are looking for, just keep true to the five steps, giving your hair time to heal and adjust! I found fingercoils to be the most beneficial during my transition period. Just know one thing, you’ve got this, welcome to your new healthy hair life!
If you have any further questions don’t hesitate to email me at Queenmonroe@redcarpetcurls.com. Or you can sign up for one-on-one coaching sessions with me to build your new routine or help redirect you to products and techniques to help you achieve your hair goals.